Pulse Agronomy Specialist
|Position:||Pulse Agronomy Specialist|
|Job Location:||Saskatoon, SK|
|Apply Before:||October 19, 2018|
|Availability:||full time permanent|
|Description:||Saskatchewan Pulse Growers (SPG) is a development board for the dynamic and growing pulse crop industry that is accountable to and funded by growers. As part of our research program, the area of agronomy is a core component to creating opportunities for profitable growth for 16,000 pulse growers in Saskatchewan. We are currently seeking someone to support the execution of agronomy work towards the achievement of our strategic goals in the role of PULSE AGRONOMY SPECIALIST.|
This role is an exciting career opportunity for a highly motivated professional. If you have strong agronomy expertise and demonstrated experience in grower and industry extension we want to hear from you. The Pulse Agronomy Specialist is responsible for assisting with development, execution, and dissemination of SPGI's agronomy program.
Reporting to the Agronomy Manager, the Pulse Agronomy Specialist's primary responsibilities will include:
- Assist with the development and implementation of the SPG Agronomy Program to address agronomic priorities to improve production, sustainability and profitability for Saskatchewan pulse growers.
- Develop and lead strategy for specialty area priority(s) including identifying key players, facilitating steering groups, chairing meetings, and implementing outcomes to ensure buy in and collaborative efforts drive solutions or targeted outcomes.
- Lead SPGI's extension and outreach activities related to agronomy through developing and delivering presentations, directing content development of publications, and identifying topics for communications to growers, industry partners, and agronomists.
- Provide input and support to the Agronomy Team in identifying agronomic research priorities and agronomy projects.
- Remain current on pulse production issues, research, and agronomy to enable knowledge transfer to growers either directly or through partners (agronomists, other stakeholders).
- Provide agronomic information to growers, agronomists, research, and agriculture industry through direct enquiries, field visits, formal and informal presentations, and through written information and social media.
- Post-secondary education with an undergraduate or graduate degree in agriculture or relevant science field; a Masters in agronomy is considered an asset.
- Minimum 2 years industry experience with a focus on agronomy, crop production, and/or field research in Western Canada. Farm background is considered an asset.
- An in-depth knowledge of crop production and the agriculture industry in Western Canada with experience and/or knowledge of pulse agronomy and the pulse industry.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with growers, industry and the research community.
- Ability to coordinate meetings through bringing people together, organize agendas, facilitate discussions and identify key action items.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral & written).
- Experience in extension / knowledge transfer.
- Good understanding of social media and technology.
- Understanding of field research techniques and protocol design.
- Highly organized, with critical thinking and problem solving abilities; able to prioritize and manage multiple projects and programs.
- Passionate and motivated to be the expert on pulse crop agronomy in Saskatchewan and strong leadership abilities and interests.
- Team player with strong collaborative skills.
- Professionalism and maturity essential.
Must be licensed or qualified to be licensed as Professional Agrologist with Saskatchewan Institute of Agrologists (SIA).
|Compensation:||To commensurate with experience and qualifications|
|Contact name:||Cheryl Gore|
|Company:||Saskatchewan Pulse Growers|
|Address:||207-116 Research Drive|
|State / Province:||Saskatchewan|
|Zip / Postal Code:||S7N 3R3|