|Job Location:||Edmonton, AB|
|job location 2:||Charlottetown, PEI|
|Apply Before:||September 29, 2017|
|Availability:||full time permanent|
|Description:||Being the best Creamer potato company requires hiring the best agronomists.|
We have to be the best Creamer potato company because that's all we do. But being the best requires a team eager to bring high innovation to a millennia-old food with a company that has set itself apart in the produce industry with sustained high-growth year over year awarded us by our partners, customers, and consumers alike.
We embrace diversity and unique differences, holding every employee in the highest regard, while fostering an award-winning workplace where health, safety and fun combine to create an environment where everyone feels like family.
Reporting to the Director of Agronomy, the Regional Agronomist (2 positions) will be responsible for the overall continuous improvement of little potatoes in the specified region. The Agronomist will have a clear focus on improving yield and quality of the raw product, while driving down production costs and improving grower profitability. The Agronomist will work closely with contract growers and Company Field Management to ensure that the agronomy and production plans are precisely executed. This will include but not be limited to hitting annual and 3-5 year agronomy priorities and KPI's to ensure the highest possible quality and yields are delivered to the western Canadian packing facility. This position will be based in Edmonton, AB and Charlottetown, PEI.
The ideal candidate will have a background in agronomy with prior agri-business industry experience. Some potato agronomic knowledge will be learned through on the job training involving numerous agronomy programs developed by the Little Potato Company.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage grower relationships from a technical standpoint; maximizing yield and quality.
- Provide technical and crop intelligence advice to field management.
- Develop and implement agronomy plans for contract growers.
- Manage, implement and report on regional variety trials.
- Commercial introduction of new varieties.
- Conduct agronomic research trials - small plot and commercial scale.
- Advise growers on storage best management practices.
- Conduct in-season crop assessments including yield projections and forecasting.
- Liaise with regional crop consultants and local research community.
- Annual grower research meeting - organize and present current research results.
- Additional duties as required.
- 3-5 years' experience preferred, in Agri-Business Industry; less experience will also be considered.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture.
- Professional Agrologist Designation or eligibility.
- Farming background considered an asset.
- Certified Crop Advisor Designation considered an asset and encouraged for professional development.
- Driver's license required.
- Travel frequency 20% (including US growing regions when required).
- Potato industry experience considered an asset but is not required.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Effective time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Proven ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and Microsoft office programs.
- Ability to work in outdoor conditions (fields and storage)
- Ability to lift 50 lb samples.
|Compensation:||To be determined|
|Contact name:||Human Resources|
|Company:||The Little Potato Company|
|State / Province:||AB|
|Zip / Postal Code:||T5S 2H6|
|Attachment:||Posting - Regional Agronomists.pdf|